The College is situated in the City Centre, a short distance from the University of Edinburgh, and 10 minutes walk from Princes Street or the Castle. The Playfair Building on Nicolson Street, pictured below, was designed by the Scottish architect William Henry Playfair for the surgeons of the day and opened in 1832. There is also an entrance at 6 Hill Square, to the rear of the College.
Hill Square, behind Playfair's Surgeons' Hall (above), contains many of the College Departments - the Postgraduate Residences, Faculty of Dental Surgery, the Developments Office, the Membership Department, the Jules Thorn Hall, the Publications Department, the Symposium Hall and others.
The Adamson Centre (on the south side of Hill Square) now houses the Careers Centre, which incorporates the Examinations, Education and Membership & Communications Departments.
by Road The nearest exit from the City Bypass (A720) is the Straiton junction. From here follow the signs for the City Centre. The route is fairly straight, through Liberton. At the roundabout at the foot of Liberton Brae (with the Cameron Toll shopping centre to your right) go straight on to Mayfield Road. Carry straight on for approx. 2km. Mayfield Rd continues into Clerk St, which then continues into Nicolson Street. Turn right into Hill Place (opposite Nicolson Square).
Parking There are metered parking spaces in Hill Place (very limited), and Chambers Street. Public car parks are close by at Bristo Place and the Pleasance.
by Rail Waverley Station is 10 minutes walk from the College.
by Air There is a regular bus and taxi service from Edinburgh Airport, situated to the West of the city. The Airport Bus terminates next to Waverley Train Station.
by Bus Inter-city bus services terminate at the St Andrew's Square Bus Station, situated next to the St James Centre shopping centre. Buses from Princes Street (stops on the side of the street lined by shops- [north]) are very frequent. Services passing the College include numbers 3, 5, 7, 8, 14, 31 and 33.
In 1505, the incorporation of the Barber-Surgeons of Edinburgh came into being with the granting of its Seal of Cause by the Town Council of Edinburgh. Since then, the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh has been dedicated to the maintenance and promotion of the highest standards of surgical practice, through its keen interest in education, training and rigorous examination and through its liaison with external medical bodies. Whilst being keenly aware of its antiquity (the College celebrated its quincentenary in 2005), the College prides itself also on its innovation and adaptability.
With the advent of the College website, the College has been able improve the accessibilty to information for both its surgical community and allied professionals as well as for the community at large.
Enter your postcode to get directions: